Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rhody Fest 2012

I spent the day in Florence at the Oregon Coast this last Saturday with a couple of my friends. I have lived here in Oregon for 12 years now, and only learned about the Rhody festival over the last couple of years.

Rhody Fest
And all the while, I was under the impression it was in celebration of the Rhododendrons in bloom!

Ketchikan, the small town I grew up in holds a Blueberry Festival every year, in celebration of the Blueberries, so I assumed this festival being held in Florence was the same type of thing. It makes sense right?

Everywhere you looked, you would see a motorcycle! and if you didn't see one, you were sure to hear one! There were old and new and fancy and not so fancy. There were Harley's and Ducati, there were green ones and blue ones and red ones and even pink for the ladies.

And all that leather! Oh My!



Florence Or. Rhody Fest
After a little research, yes, it is the festival of the Rhododendrons in bloom!


The first annual festival was in May of 1908! and it consisted of a clam bake on the beach and a parade through town. I am inserting the link from which I found the information.

It states the Rhododendron Festival, (Rhody Fest for short) was started in order to attract business.

The "bikes" started showing up in the 80's which was fine by them, as it afforded even more revenue for the township.

So the Rhody's, whether flowers or bikers go hand in hand.





http://www.northwestmagazines.com/oregon_coast_florence_rhody_days.php


No comments:

Post a Comment