Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


I attended my first Memorial Day service in a small pioneer cemetery in Brownsville Oregon.

                                              

Color Guard
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flansders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
to you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields











A life time ago, yet, only yesterday
Remembering
In Memoriam 2012
 
 
Paying Tribute

Playing Taps
I went up to the cemetery the day prior, to get photographs of the flags that were placed at the headstones of the veterans who served our country.


While I was walking through, and listening to my own thoughts and the wind and the silence, I began to see the lives of these people, and the families who let them go, for us.



I came across this flag, marking the grave of one of our soldiers. Alone.
I couldn't help but cry.


God Bless America

When the ceremony was about to come to a close, one of the coordinators said they don't usually have such a big crowd, but they would like everyone to take and hold the person next to them, their hand.

As everyone sang God Bless America.

We thank our veterans on this special day, we can not forget the families either, as their sacrifices have been just as great.

This will not be my last service.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment